Monday, May 18, 2009

Do I have to make dinner....?

I have been thinking about what to do my first blog on and I stumbled across the landmark book " The Feminine Mystique" by Betty Friedan. I have never read it and am at a point where I need some new reading material, so what the hell.
Now, I should be making dinner, but find myself drawn into this book. I really can't be bothered to find anything in the freezer and I don't have the energy to start chopping and organizing a meal.
So I read.
As I am reading it, I find myself in great empathy with her and the women she studied. I am amazed at how much things have changed since the '60s, yet why am I still wondering who I am? At some level, I feel trapped in the feminine mystique but in a different way than those women were. Many were constrained by societal limitations, where my limitations are of the imagination. I married a great guy, quit work to raise two awesome kids, I know that I am more than wife and mom. I now more open to pursue a new career of my choice, but I no longer truly know who I am. The metamorphosis between professional woman to full time mom profoundly changed me in a way that I never expected. I grew into a person that I never thought that I would be. And yet I am happy with this woman that I am, even though I cannot see the full image of what I have become. I do know that I do not want to return to implementing software systems. I know that the world is full of opportunity, but what do I really want? And I still am not sure...
I want to explore all of the things that make me happy: a really good book, lush green outdoors, excellent food, gardening and cooking, travel- anywhere and everywhere, a great conversation- politics-religion- whatever. How can I turn these things into a livelihood? Do I want to turn them into a livelihood? Why so many questions?????
Crepes. I can make crepes for dinner and read at the same time. And I know that they will be eaten without complaint.
I have started down the road to my next big adventure ( to be traveled when not getting kids to school, taekwondo, ballet, etc) you are welcome to join me for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment